Hi Phillip,

On Mon, 25 May 2020, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 4:17 PM Erich Eckner <open...@eckner.net> wrote:

      On Sun, 24 May 2020, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

      > I do indeed have running code but not (necessarily) for this
      particular
      > variant (yet).
      >
      > What I have right now is a scheme that allows
      >
      > 1)  An existing secret key to be split into (n,t) shares where
      the threshold
      > t < number of shares.

      I suppose, this includes also the part to use/reconstruct the
      secret key?
      May I ask, what we need to do to sign something with the
      splitted key?

It is all explained in the draft but basically for the n=t version, you have
a minimum of two rounds. In round 1, everyone has to agree on their secret
key blinding value k_i and make a commitment to R_i = k_i.P. Then the dealer
has to gather up the commitments to calculate the value R as their sum -
from which the message digest value can be calculated. Then each signer just
signs as normal.

It is all very straightforward. Very little has to change.

To do n<t then you have to calculate the lagrange coefficient and multiply
your secret key by that factor. Again explained in the draft.

Sry, I missed that before. I have just read the draft, now.

Nope, I haven't got a fully finished scheme for the Shamir Secret Sharing
t<n version (yet) that begins with a distributed key generation scheme.

ok, I see.

In fact, I have yet to fully grock how that starts. Do we have n people
participate or t? I can carry the math part. But there seems to be this gap
when I try to move to ceremony...

Well, there is only t parts of information in there (e.g. if t parties would share their secrets, the other n-t secrets could be reconstructed). So one way would be to have t parties "settle on a shared key" and calculate the n-t other secrets - but this creates some asymmetry between the trust in the parties. Maybe it's instead possible to have n parties create secrets, and then "project" this n-dimensional key onto some t-dimensional hyperplane without actually sending the secrets around? (This might work with the "n points of a polinomial of degree t-1" approach, too: "projecting" would refer to some kind of fitting, there)

So everyone would do:
1. create some secret
2. send some information around
3. calculate the component of "his coordinate" of the perpendicular to the t-dimensional hyperplane
4. subtract that from his secret

What are you hoping to use this CA for? It it is to issue WebPKI (i.e. get
your root embedded in a browser) certs then CABForum writes the rules. They
have picked a set of algorithms/ curves they like.

Yes, it should become the root CA for OpenNIC to certify webservers. At some point (very long shot), it might get included in browers, but I honestly do not expect this to happen within the next decade ;-) Nevertheless, we would like to avoid any trivially-avoidable obstacles and create a CA that is as much conformant to the rules as possible :-)

But you have to use HSMs and that is a bigger constraint and none of that
supports threshold - or is likely to for some time.

Hmm, I was afraid, we would need HSMs, too. Your draft mentions, that one of the participants could be an HSM - but I guess, this a) is not (yet) implemented and b) does not scale to more than 1 HSM because of the statelessness of the HSM (one would need at least n-t+1 HSMs, to satisfy the "have to use HSMs" condition, I guess). Am I right? If so, we will refrain from our bold goal of being included in browser bundles and simply not use HSMs.

      Ok, so we will probably say good bye to the
      separately-created-key
      approach and split a given secret key which we will afterwards
      securely
      erase (and only keep the parts).

That is the simplest one as far as ceremony goes.

      > For the set of applications I care about, this attack is not
      actually that
      > important because while Mallet knows the secret key, he is the
      only person
      > who does. And so he won't be able to respond to any composite
      signature
      > request with a valid answer.

      But he can still sign anything he wants, right? Or does he never
      see the
      csr, but only the "preprocessed" csr, so he cannot sign it?

Well he can sign anything he wants but why is that key accredited to
anything else? Why is it considered to be a trustworthy key for that group
of signers?

This is what I am trying to get at with mention of 'CSR' - there has to be
some 'get trusted' process.

      > So for PKIX type applications, this is self defeating as only
      Mallet can
      > generate the CSR.

      Why would they want to create CSRs? In our case, this is
      intended to be
      the Root CA.

Its been over a decade since I last stood up a production CA. It is really a
matter of ceremony design. Having the offline root first generate a CSR and
then accept the CSR by signing it means that the ceremony for generating the
self signed root is the same as that for the subordinates for a start.

Ah, I see: When creating the self-signature of the CA itself, the threshold signature will fail, because the keys do not fit. Although Mallet can create a valid self-signature, no one would use it, because it's clear, that this was not created by the threshold signature algorithm.

Can you please share some running code, that implements the t<n threshold signing and the key splitting (from a single key)?

regards,
Erich