The key thing to do is to make those client applications not request the ssl23-method from OpenSSL 0.9.x . ssl23 explicitly requests this backward-compatibility feature while OpenSSL 3.x.x apparently deleted the ability to respond to this "historic" TLS hello format, which is also sent by some not-that-old web browsers.