I think you've nailed the requirements Stef. This could not be done with MeetUp
because it has no hierarchical organisational facility. There doesn't appear to
be any way to bring together the MeetUp groups into any form of structure where
some of this could be achieved, the best I can see is you get
http://openstack.meetup.com, which includes any group with a mention of
OpenStack.

Looking at the Ubuntu Loco Portal it does appear that it fits the feature list.
It would be nice to see this developed into an alternative for MeetUp. (MeetUp
doesn't work well for sparse populations that want to create a country wide
group (like in Australia) until critical mass can justify MeetUp groups bound
to cities/towns (which MeetUp.com insists on presently)

Tristan