On 07/25/2013 04:21 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:
Hi All,

We have recently hit some performance issues with nova-network.  It
turns out the root cause of this was we do roughly 20 rootwrapped shell
commands, many inside of global locks.
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo/+bug/1199433)

It turns out starting python itself, has a fairly significant overhead
when compared to the run time of many of the binary commands we execute.

For example:

$ time python -c "print 'test'"
test

real0m0.023s
user0m0.016s
sys0m0.004s

$ time ip a
<...>

real0m0.003s
user0m0.000s
sys0m0.000s

While we have removed the extra overhead of using entry points, we are
now hitting the overhead of just shelling out to python.

Hey Joe,

Just ask a question of you personally, off list... I was curious about the above statement about entry points. Could you elaborate a bit there? I thought OpenStack had moved *to* using entry points with stevedore?

Did this change recently?

Best,
-jay