On 13/08/13 10:48 +1200, Steve Baker wrote:
On 08/13/2013 10:39 AM, Angus Salkeld wrote:
On 12/08/13 16:52 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Clint Byrum <cl...@fewbar.com> wrote:

Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2013-08-12 12:08:58 -0700:
> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Clint Byrum <cl...@fewbar.com>
wrote:

> > Excerpts from Sandy Walsh's message of 2013-08-09 06:16:55 -0700:

events
> > the
> > removed.

> > at
> > stack

> > events
> > database.

seems
great

> > in
properly wrap
to 0

append
the
> > rows
load
onto

change,
just
vulnerability
to an
purges.
Also

> > but I
> > viable,
> > usage

Pros:
Simple

service
like

the
way
> > most
problem.
Pros:
> > least

is the
only
> > way

Meniscus and

> > > Logs are one thing (and Meniscus is a great choice for that), but
events
> > > are the very thing CM is designed to handle. Wouldn't it make
sense
> > > push them back into there?
> > >

> > I'm not sure these events make sense in the current Ceilometer (I
assume
> > that is "CM" above) context. These events are:
> >
> > ... Creating stack A
> > ... Creating stack A resource A
> > ... Created stack A resource A
> > ... Created stack A
> >
> > Users will want to be able to see all of the events for a stack,
and
> > likely we need to be able to paginate through them as well.
> >
> > They are fundamental and low level enough for Heat that I'm not
sure
> > putting them in Ceilometer makes much sense, but maybe I don't
understand
> > Ceilometer..  or "CM" is something else entirely. :)
> >

> CM is indeed ceilometer.
>
> The plan for the event API there is to make it admin-only (at
least for
> now). If this is data the user wants to see, that may change the
plan for
> the API or may mean storing it in ceilometer isn't a good fit.

Visibility into these events is critical to tracking the progress of
any action done to a Heat stack:

+---------------------+----+------------------------+--------------------+----------------------+

| logical_resource_id | id | resource_status_reason |
resource_status    |
event_time           |

+---------------------+----+------------------------+--------------------+----------------------+

| AccessPolicy        | 24 | state changed          |
CREATE_IN_PROGRESS |
2013-08-12T19:45:36Z |
| AccessPolicy        | 25 | state changed          |
CREATE_COMPLETE    |
2013-08-12T19:45:36Z |
| User                | 26 | state changed          |
CREATE_IN_PROGRESS |
2013-08-12T19:45:36Z |
| Key                 | 28 | state changed          |
CREATE_IN_PROGRESS |
2013-08-12T19:45:38Z |
| User                | 27 | state changed          |
CREATE_COMPLETE    |
2013-08-12T19:45:38Z |
| Key                 | 29 | state changed          |
CREATE_COMPLETE    |
2013-08-12T19:45:39Z |
| notcompute          | 30 | state changed          |
CREATE_IN_PROGRESS |
2013-08-12T19:45:40Z |

+---------------------+----+------------------------+--------------------+----------------------+

So unless there is a plan to make this a user centric service, it does
not seem like a good fit.

> Are these "events" transmitted in the same way as notifications?
If so,
we
> may already have the data.

The Heat engine records them while working on the stack. They have a
fairly narrow, well defined interface, so it should be fairly easy to
address the storage issue with a backend abstraction.

OK. The term "event" frequently means "notification" for ceilometer,
but it
sounds like it's completely different in this case.

Yeah, not really related. But we need to add RPC Notifications to Heat
soon so people can bill on a stack basis (create/update/delete/exist).

What we are talking about here is logging really but we want to get it
to the end user (that does not have access to the infrastructure's
syslog).

Do we really want to enable having a billing policy on stacks? A stack
invokes resources which have their own billing usage policies.

If we send notifications then deployers can at least descide that
themselves. At the moment they can't as we don't generate that info.
It's not really our descision whether to bill or not. But there
might be some usecases for this (special rates on specific templates
etc...).

-Angus