On 08/17/2013 03:10 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
On Fri, Aug 16 2013, Jay Pipes wrote:

Actually, that's the opposite of what I'm suggesting :) I'm suggesting
getting rid of the resource_metadata column in the meter table and using the
resource table in joins...

I think there's a lot of scenario where this would fail, like for
example instances being resized; the flavor is a metadata.

I'm proposing that in these cases, a *new* resource would be added to the resource table (and its ID inserted in meter) table with the new flavor/instance's metadata.

Though, changing the schema to improve performance is a good one, this
needs to be thought from the sample sending to the storage, through the
whole chain. This is something that will break a lot of current
assumption; that doesn't mean it's bad or we can't do it, just that we
need to think it through. :)

Yup, understood completely. The change I am proposing would not affect any assumptions made from the point of view of a sample sent to storage. The current assumption is that a sample's *exact* state at time of sampling would be stored so that the exact sample state could be reflected even if the underlying resource that triggered the sample changed over time.

All I am proposing is a change to the existing implementation of that assumption: instead of storing the original resource metadata in the meter table, we instead ensure that we store the resource in the resource table, and upon new sample records being inserted into the meter table, we check to see if the resource for the sample is the same as it was last time. If it is, we simply insert the resource ID from last time. If it isn't, we add a new record to the resource table that describes the new resource attributes, and we insert that new resource ID into the meter table for that sample...

Best,
-jay