On Aug 26, 2013, at 4:06 PM, Edgar Magana <emag...@plumgrid.com> wrote:

> Hi Developers,
>
> Let me explain my point of view on this topic and please share your thoughts
> in order to merge this new feature ASAP.
>
> My understanding is that multi-host is nova-network HA  and we are
> implementing this bp
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/quantum-multihost for the same
> reason.
> So, If in neutron configuration admin enables multi-host:
> etc/dhcp_agent.ini
>
> # Support multi host networks
> # enable_multihost = False
>
> Why do tenants needs to be aware of this? They should just create networks in
> the way they normally do and not by adding the "multihost" extension.

I was pretty confused until I looked at the nova-network HA doc [1].  The
proposed design would seem to emulate nova-network's multi-host HA option,
where it was necessary to both run nova-network on every compute node and
create a network explicitly as multi-host.  I'm not sure why nova-network was
implemented in this way, since it would appear that multi-host is basically
all-or-nothing.  Once nova-network services are running on every compute node,
what does it mean to create a network that is not multi-host?

So, to Edgar's question - is there a reason other than 'be like nova-network'
for requiring neutron multi-host to be configured per-network?

m.

1:
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/existing-ha-networking-options.html