On 13/09/13 05:41, Monty Taylor wrote:

On 09/12/2013 04:33 PM, Steve Baker wrote:
On 09/13/2013 08:28 AM, Mike Asthalter wrote:
Hello,

Can someone please explain the plans for our 2 wadls moving forward:

   * wadl in original heat
     repo:
https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/doc/docbkx/api-ref/src/wadls/heat-api/src/heat-api-1.0.wadl

<%22https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/doc/docbkx/api-ref/src/wadls/heat-api/src/heat-api-1.>
   * wadl in api-site
     repo:
https://github.com/openstack/api-site/blob/master/api-ref/src/wadls/orchestration-api/src/v1/orchestration-api.wadl

The original intention was to delete the heat wadl when the api-site one
became merged.

+1

1. Is there a need to maintain 2 wadls moving forward, with the wadl
in the original heat repo containing calls that may not be
implemented, and the wadl in the api-site repo containing implemented
calls only?

     Anne Gentle advises as follows in regard to these 2 wadls:

     "I'd like the WADL in api-site repo to be user-facing. The other
     WADL can be truth if it needs to be a specification that's not yet
     implemented. If the WADL in api-site repo is true and implemented,
     please just maintain one going forward."

2. If we maintain 2 wadls, what are the consequences (gerrit reviews,
docs out of sync, etc.)?

3. If we maintain only the 1 orchestration wadl, how do we want to
pull in the wadl content to the api-ref doc
(https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/doc/docbkx/api-ref/src/docbkx/api-ref.xml
<%22https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/doc/docbkx/api-ref/src/docb>)
from the orchestration wadl in the api-site repo: subtree merge, other?

These are good questions, and could apply equally to other out-of-tree
docs as features get added during the development cycle.

I still think that our wadl should live only in api-site.  If api-site
has no branching policy to maintain separate Havana and Icehouse
versions then maybe Icehouse changes should be posted as WIP reviews
until they can be merged.

I believe there is no branching in api-site because it's describing API
and there is no such thing as a havana or icehouse version of an API -
there are the API versions and they are orthogonal to server release
versions. At least in theory. :)

Yes and no. When new API versions arrive, they always arrive with a particular release. So we do need some way to ensure the docs go live at the right time, but I think Steve's suggestion for handling that is fine.

cheers,
Zane.