Hello,

I'm testing stack updates with instance group and wait conditions and I'd like to get feedback from the Heat community.

My template declares an instance group resource with size = N and a wait condition resource with count = N (N being passed as a parameter of the template). Each group's instance is calling cfn-signal (with a different id!) at the end of the user data script and my stack creates with no error.

Now when I update my stack to run N+X instances, the instance group gets updated with size=N+X but since the wait condition is deleted and recreated, the count value should either be updated to X or my existing instances should re-execute cfn-signal.

To cope with this situation, I've found 2 options:
1/ declare 2 parameters in my template: nb of instances (N for creation, N+X for update) and count of wait conditions (N for creation, X for update). See [1] for the details. 2/ declare only one parameter in my template (the size of the group) and leverage cfn-hup on the existing instances to re-execute cfn-signal. See [2] for the details.

The solution 1 is not really user-friendly and I found that solution 2 is a bit complicated. Does anybody know a simpler way to achieve the same result?

Regards,

[1] http://paste.openstack.org/show/47142/
[2] http://paste.openstack.org/show/47148/
--