On Oct 18, 2013, at 12:30 PM, Tim Simpson wrote:

> 1. I think since we have two fields in the instance object we should make a
> new object for datastore and avoid the name prefixing, like this:

I agree with this.

> 2. I also think a datastore_version alone should be sufficient since the
> associated datastore type will be implied:

When i brought this up it was generally discussed as being confusing. Id like
to use type and rely on having a default (or active) version behind the scenes.

> 3. Additionally, while a datastore_type should have an ID in the Trove
> infastructure database, it should also be possible to pass just the name of
> the datastore type to the instance call, such as "mysql" or "mongo". Maybe we
> could allow this in addition to the ID? I think this form should actually use
> the argument "type", and the id should then be passed as "type_id" instead.

Id prefer this honestly.

> 4. Additionally, in the current pull request to implement this it is possible
> to avoid passing a version, but only if no more than one version of the
> datastore_type exists in the database.
>
> I think instead the datastore_type row in the database should also have a
> "default_version_id" property, that an operator could update to the most
> recent version or whatever other criteria they wish to use, meaning the call
> could become this simple:

Since we have determined from this email thread that we have an active status,
and that > 1 version can be active, we have to think about the precedence of
active vs default. My question would be, if we have a default_version_id and a
active version, what do we choose on behalf of the user? If there is > 1 active
version and a user does not specify the version, the api will error out, unless
a default is defined. We also need a default_type in the config so the existing
APIs can maintain compatibility. We can re-discuss this for v2 of the API.