On 21/10/13 15:45 -0400, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
Steve Baker <sba...@redhat.com> wrote on 10/15/2013 06:48:53 PM:

I've just written some proposals to address Heat's HOT software
configuration needs, and I'd like to use this thread to get some
feedback:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Blueprints/hot-software-config

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Blueprints/native-tools-bootstrap-config

Please read the proposals and reply to the list with any comments or
suggestions.

Can you confirm whether I have got the big picture right?  I think some of
my earlier remarks were mistaken.

You propose to introduce the concept of component and recognize software
configuration as a matter of invoking components --- with a DAG of data
dependencies among the component invocations.  While this is similar to
what today's heat engine does for resources, you do NOT propose that the
heat engine will get in the business of invoking components.  Rather: each
VM will run a series of component invocations, and in-VM mechanisms will
handle the cross-component synchronization and data communication.  You
propose to add a bit of sugaring for the wait condition&handle mechanism,
and the heat engine will do the de-sugaring.  Each component is written in
one of a few supported configuration management (CM) frameworks, and
essentially all component invocations on a given VM invoke components of
the same CM framework (with possible exceptions for one or two really
basic ones).  The heat engine gains the additional responsibility of
making sure that the appropriate CM framework(s) is(are) bootstrapped in
each VM.  The heat engine gains no additional responsibilities.

Have I got that right?

I hope so, I don't want Heat to get into the business of two different
dependency systems.

-Angus

Thanks,
Mike