On 18/11/13 23:45, Anderson Mesquita wrote:
Hello fellows,

As suggested on our meeting last Wednesday (2013-11-13)
<http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/heat/2013/heat.2013-11-13-20.00.log.html#l-149>,
we're trying to get the build_info discussion going.

The idea is that Heat should provide an endpoint to query its current
build information so that support users, bug reporters, and possibly
regular users can quickly retrieve this information. A more detailed
description is available on the blueprint
<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/heat-build-info>,
specification <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/heat-build-info>, or the
latest patch <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/55434/> for even more
awesomeness!

Thanks for starting this discussion :)

I've changed the subject line to open this up to the whole community, because I think we should be pursuing a unified approach to this across all OpenStack projects - there's nothing particularly special about Heat that would make it the only place to address this.

For those who have not been following, the FAQ linked above at https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/heat-build-info actually does a pretty good job of answering my questions.

For the record, I still find the answer to #7 unconvincing (random polling is your plan to find the rogue out-of-date server on your network?). Also, I have a better idea for #8, #10 is not quite as simple as it seems for boring (and mostly Heat-specific) technical reasons, and this thread is here to address #11.

cheers,
Zane.

Some of us have already expressed interest in this feature, with some
minor fine tunes missing, like what would be a reasonable default value
for this information.

Any suggestions or concerns will be greatly appreciated so that we can
move this forward and make it available for everybody as soon as
possible! =D

Kind regards,

Anderson and Richard pairing