Excerpts from Clayton Coleman's message of 2013-11-22 21:43:40 -0800:

> > On Nov 22, 2013, at 9:54 PM, Monty Taylor <mord...@inaugust.com> wrote:
> >

> >> On 11/22/2013 11:34 AM, Clayton Coleman wrote:
> >> I have updated the language pack (name subject to change) blueprint
> >> with the outcomes from the face2face meetings, and drafted a
> >> specification that captures the discussion so far.  The spec is
> >> centered around the core idea of transitioning base images into
> >> deployable images (that can be stored in Nova and sent to Glance).
> >> These are *DRAFT* and are intended for public debate.
> >>
> >> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/solum/+spec/lang-pack
> >> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Solum/FeatureBlueprints/BuildingSourceIntoDeploymentArtifacts
> >>
> >> Please take this opportunity to review these documents and offer
> >> criticism and critique via the ML - I will schedule a follow up deep
> >> dive for those who expressed interest in participation [1] after US
> >> Thanksgiving.
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'd strongly suggest looking at the diskimage-builder project that's
> > part of the TripleO program. Someone has already done a POC of turning
> > it in to an aaS, and there are already people working on tying
> > diskimage-builder elements and heat templates. Given that OpenStack has
> > prior art and work in this direction, you should be able to accelerate
> > getting to your goals pretty quickly.
>
> diskimage-builder is definitely a primary tool choice for an openstack
> deployer creating vm images, and should certainly be promoted where possible.
>  I'll add an example to the doc.
>
> The spec does try to be agnostic to the actual image creation technology in
> play - organizations using containers or Windows images may have alternative
> preferences about the underlying mechanism by which they generate images.
> Decoupling the image creation from how the image is used is a key goal,
> especially since organizations often want to separate environment preparation
> and development along role lines.

Windows images are special, yes. For those, perhaps chat with the Murano
folk?

Containers will work fine in diskimage-builder. One only needs to hack
in the ability to save in the container image format rather than qcow2.

I actually think diskimage-builder would be really useful for container
building, as it doesn't make any assumptions about things like having a
kernel. In fact we've discussed the possibility of using lxc to do the
image builds instead of chroot so that the builds would be more
isolated from the build host.