On 2/16/2017 5:26 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

Also, the approach to give-up the packaging of "non-important" project
(ie: not-core, like the ones in the list I gave...) in the hope it will
save so much time is IMO simply wrong. What eats all of the package
maintenance time is *not* final projects (trove, watcher, etc.) but all
the OpenStack dependencies. Maybe 90% of my time have been spent on
packaging oslo libraries, clients, and 3rd parties, and making sure they
integrate well with the rest of the distro (python 3 compat, Django
1.10, latest SQLA, etc.). So giving-up on that last extra mile of work
to put the cherry on top of the cake isn't the good approach.

FWIW, +1 to that. When I was doing OpenStack packaging for IBM's distro on a daily basis a few years ago the brunt of my time was spent on currency on the daily changes in the multitude of dependent package version changes. We had spit-balled some ideas on automating some of that, but just never found the time.

Matt Riedemann