On 03/09/2017 07:19 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
On 03/09/2017 01:06 PM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
On 03/09/2017 06:57 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
Excerpts from Ben Swartzlander's message of 2017-03-09 11:23:31 -0500:
<snip>

Combine that with the lower cost and subsidized travel support program
for the PTG, and you should end up with a more complete gathering of
developers at PTG, and a better interface with users and operators. That
is the theory, and I think it's worth trying to fit one's approach into
that, rather than try to keep doing things the old way and expecting
this new system to work.

Small correction: it does not seem that the PTG was cheaper for people
attending it.

It was substantially cheaper for many folks, actually. The venue chosen and the
city chosen is significantly cheaper than Boston.

I cannot say anything about Boston (I don't plan on going), and I'm definitely not saying for everyone, but here are my (rough) numbers from previous summits.

Tokyo
  flight $1000
  hotel $950

Austin
  flight $1100
  hotel $1100

Barcelona
  flight $200
  hotel $900

Atlanta PTG
  flight $1050
  hotel (recommended) $1100
  ticket $100

Overall, Atlanta would be the most expensive for me, if I used the recommended hotel. Even more expensive than Tokyo.

Hotel rooms in Boston are *minimum* $350 per night compared with $180 per night
in Atlanta's Sheraton.

Small correction: *real* price of Sheraton was $220. You're referring to the "marketing" price, which does not include a lot of what you have to pay. Dunno if it's the same for Boston.

Those of us in certain companies were allowed to use Airbnb which cut the
lodging costs down even further (around $80 per night per person compared with
$150 average Airbnb prices per person in Boston).

Add to that the lack of expensive vendor parties and nighttime events
(*somebody* ends up having to pay for those things, after all) and the costs for
attending (and putting on the PTG) were indeed cheaper in my experience.

-jay

It's at least not universally true. You can safely assume
the Forum to require *additional* budget compared to the classic summit.