On 03/20/2017 10:10 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017, Thomas Goirand wrote:

I really don't understand why the Telemetry team insists in being
release-independent, out of big tent and such, when the reality is that
all of released Telemetry components are *very tightly* bound to a
specific versions of OpenStack. IMO, it doesn't make sense upstream, or
downstream of Telemetry.

This simply isn't the case with gnocchi. Gnocchi is an independent
timeseries, metrics and resources data service that _happens_ to
work with OpenStack.

By making it independent of OpenStack, its ability to draw
contribution and engagement from people outside the OpenStack
community increases. As a result it can become a better tool for
more people, including OpenStack people. Not all, or even many, of
the OpenStack projects are like that, but gnocchi is. More eyes,
less bugs, right?

I'm curious why being independent of OpenStack would make it more attractive.

Is the perception that requiring people to sign the Contributor Agreement is holding back external contribution? Or is it just that the mere idea of it being an OpenStack project is discouraging people from getting involved?

Just as an example, if I want to get involved with libvirt because I have an itch to scratch the fact that it's basically a RedHat project isn't going to turn me off...

Thanks,
Chris