On 30.3.2017 14:58, Dan Prince wrote:
There is one case that I was thinking about reusing this piece of code
within a container to help initialize keystone endpoints. It would
require some changes and updates (to match how puppet-* configures
endpoints).

For TripleO containers we use various puppet modules (along with hiera)
to drive the creation of endpoints. This functionally works fine, but
is quite slow to execute (puppet is slow here) and takes several
minutes to complete. I'm wondering if a single optimized python script
might serve us better here. It could be driven via YAML (perhaps
similar to our Hiera), idempotent, and likely much faster than having
the code driven by puppet. This doesn't have to live in os-cloud-
config, but initially I thought that might be a reasonable place for
it. It is worth pointing out that this would be something that would
need to be driven by our t-h-t workflow and not a post-installation
task. So perhaps that makes it not a good fit for os-cloud-config. But
it is similar to the keystone initialization already there so I thought
I'd mention it.

I agree we could have an optimized python script instead of puppet to do the init. However, os-cloud-config also doesn't strike me as the ideal place.

What might be interesting is solving the keystone init within containers along with our container entrypoint situation. We've talked earlier that we may have to build our custom entrypoints into the images as we sometimes need to do things that the current entrypoints don't seem fit for, or don't give us enough control over what happens. This single optimized python script for endpoint config you mentioned could be one of such in-image entrypoint scripts. We could build multiple different scripts like this into a single image and select the right one when starting the container (defaulting to a script that handles the usual "worker" case, in this case Keystone API).

This gets somewhat similar to the os-cloud-config usecase, but even if we wanted a separate repo, or even a RPM for these, i suppose it would be cleaner to just start from scratch rather than repurpose os-cloud-config.

Jirka

Dan