I found a fun little legacy nugget of compute API non-interoperability joy tonight.

The "allow_instance_snapshots" config option disables the createImage server action API. Completely config driven and therefore not discoverable.

What intrigues me is that this isn't applied to the createBackup or shelve APIs, which also create a snapshot of the instance. Is this by design? I'm guessing probably not. In fact, this predates the use of Gerrit [1] so this was probably just something hacked in so long ago it makes zero sense now. The way to disable any of these APIs now is via policy.

Unless anyone has an issue with this, I'm going to deprecate it for removal.

[1] https://github.com/openstack/nova/commit/9633e9877c7836c18c30b51c8494abfb025e64ca

Matt