Chris Friesen wrote:
On 05/16/2017 10:45 AM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
So fyi,

If you really want something like this:

Just use:

http://fasteners.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api/lock.html#fasteners.lock.ReaderWriterLock

And always get a write lock.

It is a slightly different way of getting those locks (via a context
manager)
but the implementation underneath is a deque; so fairness should be
assured in
FIFO order...

I'm going ahead and doing this. Your docs for fastener don't actually
say that lock.ReaderWriterLock.write_lock() provides fairness. If you're
going to ensure that stays true it might make sense to document the fact.

Sounds great, I was starting to but then got busy with other stuff :-P

Am I correct that fasteners.InterProcessLock is basically as fair as the
underlying OS-specific lock? (Which should be reasonably fair except for
process scheduler priority.)

Yup that IMHO would be fair, its just fnctl under the covers (at least for linux). Though from what I remember at https://github.com/harlowja/fasteners/issues/26#issuecomment-253543912 the lock class here seemed a little nicer (though more complex). That guy I think was going to propose some kind of merge, but that never seemd to appear.

Chris