On 24.5.2017 15:02, Marios Andreou wrote:
On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Carlos Camacho Gonzalez <
ccama...@redhat.com> wrote:

Hey folks,

Based on what we discussed yesterday in the TripleO weekly team meeting,
I'll like to propose a blueprint to create 2 features, basically to backup
and restore the Undercloud.

I'll like to follow in the first iteration the available docs for this
purpose [1][2].

With the addition of backing up the config files on /etc/ specifically to
be able to recover from a failed Undercloud upgrade, i.e. recover the repos
info removed in [3].

I'll like to target this for P as I think I have enough time for
coding/testing these features.

I already have created a blueprint to track this effort
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/undercloud-backup-restore

What do you think about it?

+1 from me as you know but adding my support on the list too. I think it is
a great idea - there are cases especially around changing network config
during an upgrade for example where the best remedy is to restore the
undercloud for the network definitions (both neutron config and heat db).

+1 i think there's not really an easy way out of these issues other than a restore. We already recommend doing a backup before upgrading [1], so having something that can further help operators in this regard would be good.

Jirka

[1] http://tripleo.org/post_deployment/upgrade.html

thanks,

Thanks,
Carlos.

[1]: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_
enterprise_linux_openstack_platform/7/html/back_up_and_
restore_red_hat_enterprise_linux_openstack_platform/restore

[2]: https://docs.openstack.org/developer/tripleo-docs/post_
deployment/backup_restore_undercloud.html

[3]: https://docs.openstack.org/developer/tripleo-docs/
installation/updating.html