On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Abhishek Kane <abhishek.k...@veritas.com> wrote:
> Hi Emilien,
>
> The bin does following things on controller:
> 1. Install core HyperScale packages.

Should be done by Puppet, with Package resource.

> 2. Start HyperScale API server

Should be done by Puppet, with Service resource.

> 3. Install UI packages. This will add new files to and modify some existing
> files of Horison.

Should be done by Puppet, with Package resource and also some changes
in puppet-horizon maybe if you need to change Horizon config.

> 4. Create HyperScale user in mysql db. Create database and dump config. Add
> permissions of nova and cinder DB to HyperScale user.

We have puppet-openstacklib which already manages DBs, you could
easily re-use it. Please look at puppet-nova for example to see how
things works in nova::db::mysql, etc.

> 5. Add ceilometer pollsters for additional stats and modify ceilometer files.

puppet-ceilometer I guess. What do you mean by "files"? Config files?

> 6. Change OpenStack configuration:
> a. Create rabbitmq exchanges

puppet-* modules already does it.

> b. Create keystone user

puppet-keystone already does it.

> c. Define new flavors

puppet-nova can manage flavors.

> d. Create HyperScale volume type and set default volume type to HyperScale in
> cinder.conf.

we already support multi backends in tripleo, HyperScale would just be
a new addition. Re-use the bits please: puppet-cinder and
puppet-tripleo will need to be patched.

> e. Restart openstack’s services

Already done by openstack/puppet-* modules.

> 7. Configure HyperScale services

Should be done by your module, (you can either write a _config
provider if it's ini standard otherwise just do a template that you
ship in the module, like puppet-horizon).

> Once the controller is configured, we use HyperScale’s CLI to configure data
> and compute nodes-
>
> On data node (cinder):
> 1. Install HyperScale data node packages.

Should be done by Puppet, with Package resource.

> 2. Change cinder.conf to add backend and change rpc_backend.

puppet-cinder

> 3. Give the raw data disks and meta disks to HyperScale storage layer for
> usage.

what does it means? Do you run a CLI for that?

> 4. Configure HyperScale services.

Should be done by Puppet, with Service resource.

> 5. Dump config in the HyperScale database.

can be done by a script maybe?

> On compute (nova):
> 1. Install HyperScale compute packages.

Should be done by Puppet, with Package resource.

> 2. Configure cgroup.

we don't manage cgroups in TripleO AFIK yet but it's something we
could add, maybe with a puppet module.

> 3. Disable selinux.

Please don't do that. Disabling SElinux is a NOGO when adding new
features (sorry to care about Security).

> 4. Add ceilometer pollsters for additional stats and modify ceilometer files.

puppet-ceilometer

> 5. Modify qemu.conf to relax ACS checks.

puppet-nova maybe, but not sure we really want to do that:
https://vfio.blogspot.fr/2014/08/iommu-groups-inside-and-out.html

Any details on why you're doing it?

> 6. Modify libvirt.conf and libvirtd to allow live migration.

It's already supported by puppet-nova.

> 7. Change network settings.

Should be done by os-net-config in TripleO.

> 8. Configure HyperScale services.

Done by your module (again).

> 9. Dump config in the HyperScale database.

same as before.

> We assume that we will not require steps to install packages if we put
> packages in the overcloud image. We have started to convert the bin and the
> CLI into puppet modules.
>

> Regards,
> Abhishek

Hope it helped.

> [...]
>     >
>     > So, does it mean that if we have an overcloud image with our packages
>     > inbuilt and we call our configuration scripts using role specific
>     > configuration, we may not need puppet modules[0] ? Is it acceptable
>     > deployment method?
>
>     So running a binary from Puppet, to make configuration management is
>     not something we recommend.
>     Puppet has been good at managing configuration files and services for
>     example. In your module, you just manage a file and execute it. The
>     problem with that workflow is we have no idea what happens in backend.
>     Also we have no way to make Puppet run idempotent, which is one
>     important aspect in TripleO.
>
>     Please tell us what does the binary, and maybe we can convert the
>     tasks into Puppet resources that could be managed by your module. Also
>     make the resources by class (service), so we can plug it into the
>     composable services in TripleO.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     > [0] https://github.com/abhishek-kane/puppet-veritas-hyperscale
>     > [1]
>     >
> https://docs.openstack.org/developer/tripleo-docs/advanced_deployment/node_config.html
>     > [2] http://paste.openstack.org/show/611116/
>     >
>     > Thanks,
>     > Dnyaneshwar
>     >
>     > On 5/30/17, 6:52 PM, "Alex Schultz" <aschu...@redhat.com> wrote:
>     >
>     > On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 5:05 AM, Dnyaneshwar Pawar
>     > <dnyaneshwar.pa...@veritas.com> wrote:
>     >
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > I am tying to deploy a software on openstack controller on the
> overcloud.
>     > One way to do this is by modifying ‘overcloud image’ so that all
> packages of
>     > our software are added to image and then run overcloud deploy.
>     > Other way is to write heat template and puppet module which will deploy
> the
>     > required packages.
>     >
>     > Question: Which of above two approaches is better?
>     >
>     > Note: Configuration part of the software will be done via separate heat
>     > template and puppet module.
>     >
>     >
>     > Usually you do both.  Depending on how the end user is expected to
>     > deploy, if they are using the TripleoPackages service[0] in their
>     > role, the puppet installation of the package won't actually work (we
>     > override the package provider to noop) so it needs to be in the
>     > images.  That being said, usually there is also a bit of puppet that
>     > needs to be written to configure the end service and as a best
>     > practice (and for development purposes), it's a good idea to also

Emilien Macchi