Julien Danjou wrote:
On Thu, Jun 08 2017, Mike Bayer wrote:

So far I've seen a proposal of etcd3 as a replacement for memcached in
keystone, and a new dogpile connector was added to oslo.cache to handle
referring to etcd3 as a cache backend.  This is a really simplistic / minimal
kind of use case for a key-store.

etcd3 is not meant to be a cache. Synchronizing caching value using the
Raft protocol sounds a bit overkill. A cluster of memcached would be
probably of a better use.

Agreed from me,

My thinking is that people should look over https://raft.github.io/ or http://thesecretlivesofdata.com/raft/ (or both or others...)

At least read how it sort of works, before trying to put it everywhere (the same can and should be said for any new service), because its not a solution for all the things.

The other big thing to know is how writes happen in this kind of system, they all go through a single node (the leader, who sends the same data to followers and waits for a certain number of followers to respond before committing)....

Anyways, with great power comes great responsibility...

IMHO just be careful and understand the technology before using it for things it may not really be good for. Oh ya and perhaps someone will want to finally take more advantage of https://docs.openstack.org/developer/taskflow/jobs.html#overview (which uses the same concepts etcd exposes to make highly available workflows that can survive node failure).

But, keeping in mind I don't know anything about etcd3 other than "it's another
key-store", it's the only database used by Kubernetes as a whole, which
suggests it's doing a better job than Redis in terms of "durable".

Not sure about that. And Redis has much more data structure than etcd,
that is can be faster/more efficient than etcd. But it does not have
Raft and a synchronisation protocol. Its clustering is rather poor in
comparison of etcd.

So I wouldn't be surprised if new / existing openstack applications
express some gravitational pull towards using it as their own
datastore as well. I'll be trying to hang onto the etcd3 track as much
as possible so that if/when that happens I still have a job :).

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. :)