On Jul 14, 2017, at 2:17 PM, Zane Bitter <zbit...@redhat.com> wrote:

> * The pool of OpenStack developers is a fixed resource, and if we make it
> clear that some projects are unwelcome then their developers will be
> reassigned to 'core' projects in a completely zero-sum process. (Nnnnnnope.)

Yeah, I’ve heard this many times, and always shake my head. If I want to work
on X, and X is not in OpenStack governance, I’m going to work on that anyway
because I need it. Or maybe on a similar project. I’m going to scratch my itch.

> * While code like e.g. the Nova scheduler might be so complicated today that
> even the experts routinely complain about its terrible design,[1] if only we
> could add dozens more cooks (see above) it would definitely get much simpler
> and easier to maintain. (Bwahahahahahahaha.)

No, they need to appoint me as the Scheduler Overlord with the power to smite
all those who propose complicated code!

> * Once we make it clear to users that under no circumstances will we ever
> e.g. provide them with notifications about when a server has failed, ways to
> orchestrate a replacement, and an API to update DNS to point to the new one,
> then they will finally stop demanding bloat-inducing VMWare/oVirt-style
> features that enable them to treat cloud servers like pets. (I. don't. even.)

Again, itches will be scratched. What I think is more important is a marketing
issue, not a technical one. When I think of what it means to be a “core”
project, I think of things that people looking to “get cloudy” would likely
want. It isn’t until you start using a cloud that the additional projects you
mention become important. So simplifying what is presented to the cloud market
is a good thing, as it won’t confuse people as to what OpenStack is. But that
doesn’t require any of the other projects be stopped or in any way discouraged.

-- Ed Leafe