On Dec 6, 2013, at 1:09 AM, John Dickinson <m...@not.mn> wrote:

> [...]
>>> a common way to do this, yet, I submit it as a great template for solving
>>> this problem. It's simple, scalable, and well-tested (ie tests and running
>>> in prod for years).
>>>
>>> https://github.com/openstack/swift/blob/master/swift/common/middleware/catch_errors.py
>>>
>>> Leaving aside error handling and only focusing on the transaction id (or
>>> request id) generation, since OpenStack services are exposed to untrusted
>>> clients, how would you propose communicating the appropriate transaction id
>>> to a different service? I can see great benefit to having a glance
>>> transaction ID carry through to Swift requests (and so on), but how should
>>> the transaction id be communicated? It's not sensitive info, but I can
>>> imagine a pretty big problem when trying to track down errors if a client
>>> application decides to set eg the X-Set-Transaction-Id header on every
>>> request to the same thing.
>>>
>>> -1 to cross service request IDs, for the reasons John mentions above.
>>>

>>> Thanks for bringing this up, and I'd welcome a patch in Swift that would
>>> use a common library to generate the transaction id, if it were installed.
>>> I can see that there would be huge advantage to operators to trace requests
>>> through multiple systems.
>>>
>>> Another option would be for each system that calls an another OpenStack
>>> system to expect and log the transaction ID for the request that was given.
>>> This would be looser coupling and be more forgiving for a heterogeneous
>>> cluster. Eg when Glance makes a call to Swift, Glance cloud log the
>>> transaction id that Swift used (from the Swift response). Likewise, when
>>> Swift makes a call to Keystone, Swift could log the Keystone transaction
>>> id. This wouldn't result in a single transaction id across all systems, but
>>> it would provide markers so an admin could trace the request.
>>>
>>> There was a session on this at the summit, and although the notes are a
>>> little scarce this was the conclusion we came up with.  Every time a cross
>>> service call is made, we will log and send a notification for ceilometer to
>>> consume, with the request-ids of both request ids.  One of the benefits of
>>> this approach is that we can easily generate a tree of all the API calls
>>> that are made (and clearly show when multiple calls are made to the same
>>> service), something that just a cross service request id would have trouble
>>> with.
>>
>> Is wise to trust anything a client provides to ensure traceability?  If a
>> user receives a request id back from Nova, then submits that request id in
>> an unrelated request to Neutron, the traceability would be effectively
>> corrupted.  If the consensus is that we don't want to securely deliver
>> request ids for inter-service calls, how about requiring a service to log
>> its request id along with the request id returned from a call to another
>> service to achieve the a similar result?
>
> Yes, this is what I was proposing. I think this is the best path forward.

Ok, great.  And as per your suggestion, a middleware-based error handler will
soon be proposed for oslo that will secondarily ensure that a request id is
added to the request.

>> The catch is that every call point (or client instantiation?) would have to
>> be modified to pass the request id instead of just logging at one place in
>> each service.  Is that a cost worth paying?
>
> Perhaps this is my ignorance of how other projects work today, but does this
> not already happen? Is it possible to get a response from an API call to an
> OpenStack project that doesn't include a request id?

We'll have it in Neutron real-soon-now, and then I think the answer will be
'yes'.

On reflection, it should be easy enough for a given service to ensure that
calls to other services are automatically instrumented to log request id pairs.
 Again, probably something for oslo.

m.