On 8/4/2017 8:41 AM, Tom Kennedy wrote:
Is there an Openstack document that shows how to extend openstack to do something like this?

The create snapshot API is this in upstream Nova:

https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/#create-image-createimage-action

There is no distinction between a live and cold snapshot in the end user REST API. That's dependent on the backend compute driver. For example, the libvirt driver may attempt to perform a live snapshot if possible, but falls back to a cold snapshot if that's not possible. Other drivers could do the same.

As for the difference between the OpenStack concept of a snapshot and the VMware concept of a snapshot, I don't know what that is, but I can saw we wouldn't add a VMware-specific REST API for snapshots to the compute API when we already have the createImage API. So some design work would be involved if you wanted to upstream this.

For information on contributing features to Nova, you can start here:

https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/contributor/blueprints.html

Matt