On 2017-08-11 10:21 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
On 2017-08-11 09:37:08 +0200 (+0200), Flavio Percoco wrote:
On 10/08/17 14:04 -0400, Anita Kuno wrote:
[...]
Also to clarify, the election officials serve the TC, not the other
way around.
I would like to clarify this sentence, though. I do not think the
election officials serve the TC, neither the TC serves the
election officials. Both bodies serve the community and the
processes defined by it.
[...]

It's more accurate to say that the election officials are *appointed
by* the TC, but I agree we're all here to serve the community. In
the particular matter of identifying leaderless teams, the election
officials are definitely acting as advisors to the TC, and I can see
how it might be taken as a bit demeaning to imply that it makes them
servants of the TC. They are charged with reporting these findings
to the TC however, so in a sense that is a form of servitude.
Basically, you're both correct depending on how you look at it. ;)

I'm not sure how the phrase "to serve" has become equated with the phrase "to be demeaned" but it is a leap I don't make myself.

I consider to be of service to be a privilege and an honour. I was honoured to serve the TC as an election official, I guess it is my mistake in believing that others would value the same honour.

Thanks,
Anita.