On 09/20/2017 12:47 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

I wanted to bring it up here in case anyone had a good reason why we should not
continue to exclude originally failed hosts during live migration, even if the
admin is specifying one of those hosts for the live migration destination.

Presumably there was a good reason why the instance failed to build on a host
originally, but that could be for any number of reasons: resource claim failed
during a race, configuration issues, etc. Since we don't really know what
originally happened, it seems reasonable to not exclude originally attempted
build targets since the scheduler filters should still validate them during live
migration (this is all assuming you're not using the 'force' flag with live
migration - and if you are, all bets are off).

As you say, a failure on a host during the original instance creation (which could have been a long time ago) is not a reason to bypass that host during subsequent operations.

In other words, I think the list of hosts to ignore should be scoped to a single "operation" that requires scheduling (which would include any necessary rescheduling for that "operation").

Chris