On 09/28/2017 05:29 AM, Sahid Orentino Ferdjaoui wrote:

Only the memory mapped for the guest is striclty allocated from the
NUMA node selected. The QEMU overhead should float on the host NUMA
nodes. So it seems that the "reserved_host_memory_mb" is enough.

What I see in the code/docs doesn't match that, but it's entirely possible I'm missing something.

nova uses LibvirtConfigGuestNUMATuneMemory with a mode of "strict" and a nodeset of "the host NUMA nodes used by a guest".

For a guest with single NUMA node, I think this would map to libvirt XML of something like

  <numatune>
    <memory mode="strict" nodeset="1"/>
  </numatune>

The docs at https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsNUMATuning say, "The optional memory element specifies how to allocate memory for the domain process on a NUMA host."

That seems to me that the qemu overhead would be NUMA-affined, no? (If you had a multi-NUMA-node guest, then the qemu overhead would float across all the NUMA nodes used by the guest.)

Chris