On Dec 6, 2013, at 2:09 PM, Paul Michali <p...@cisco.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For Neutron, I'm creating a module (one of several eventually) as part of a
> new blueprint I'm working on, and the associated unit test module. I'm in
> really early development, and just running this UT module as a standalone
> script (rather than through tox). It allows me to do TDD pretty quickly on
> the code I'm developing (that's the approach I'm taking right now - fingers
> crossed :).
>
> In the module, I did an import of the logging package and when I run UTs I
> can see messaging that would occur, if desired.
>
> I have the following hack to turn off/on the logging for debug level:
>
> if False:  # Debugging
>     logging.basicConfig(format='%(asctime)-15s [%(levelname)s] %(message)s',
>                         level=logging.DEBUG)
>
> I made the log calls the same as what would be in other Neutron code, so that
> I don't have to change the code later, as I start to fold it into the Neutron
> code. However, I'd like to import the neutron.openstack.common.log package in
> my code, so that the code will be identical to what is needed once I start
> running this code as part of a process, but I had some questions…
>
> When using neutron.openstack.common.log, how do I toggle the debug level
> logging on, if I run this standalone, as I'm doing now?
> Is there a way to do it, without adding in the above conditional logic to the
> production code? Maybe put something in the UT module?

I believe you can just make sure to set_override on the CONF option to True and
then call logging.setup('neutron')

Here is an example with the nova code

>>> from nova.openstack.common import log as logging
>>> LOG = logging.getLogger(__name__)
>>> LOG.debug('foo')
>>> logging.CONF.set_override('debug', True)
>>> logging.setup('nova')
>>> LOG.debug('foo')
2013-12-09 14:25:21.220 72011 DEBUG __main__ [-] foo <module> <input>:2

Vish