On 11/10/17 10:20 AM, Giulio Fidente wrote:
On 11/26/2015 03:17 PM, Jiří Stránský wrote:
On 26.11.2015 14:12, Jiří Stránský wrote:

[...]

It seems TripleO is hitting similar composability and sanity limits with
the top-down approach, and the number of parameters which can only be
fed via parameter_defaults is increasing. (The disadvantage of
parameter_defaults is that, unlike hiera, we currently have no clear
namespacing rules, which means a higher chance of conflict. Perhaps the
unit tests suggested in another subthread would be a good start, maybe
we could even think about how to do proper namespacing.)

Does what i described seem somewhat accurate? Should we maybe buy into
the concept of "composable templates, externally fed
hierarchy-transcending parameters" for the long term?

I now realized i might have used too generic or Puppetish terms in the
explanation, perhaps drowning the gist of the message a bit :) What i'm
suggesting is: let's consider going with parameter_defaults wherever we
can, for the sake of composability, and figure out what is the best way
to prevent parameter name collisions.
+1 I like very much the idea of parameter_defaults + strictier
namespacing rules

Specifically regarding namespaces, puppet was great but ansible doesn't
seem to be as good (at least to me), in fact I think we have chances for
conflicts in both THT and the ansible playbooks

Tripleo docs should have this explained, like in the ansible docs [1]

[1] http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/playbooks_variables.html#variable-precedence-where-should-i-put-a-variable

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,