On 03/23/2018 11:54 AM, Giulio Fidente wrote:
On 03/23/2018 05:43 PM, Wojciech Dec wrote:
Hi All,

I'm converting a few heat service templates that have been working ok
with puppet3 modules to run with Puppet 4, and am wondering if there is
a way to pass an "undefined" default via heat to allow "default" values
(eg params.pp) of the puppet modules to be used?
The previous (puppet 3 working) way of passing an empty string in heat
doesn't work, since Puppet 4 interprets this now as the actual setting.

yaml allows use of ~ to represent null

it looks like in a hiera lookup that is resolved as the "nil" value, not
sure if that is enough to make the default values for a class to apply

Interesting. That would be simpler than what we've been doing, which is to use a Heat conditional to determine whether a particular piece of hieradata is populated. At least that's the method I'm aware of. The workers settings are an example of this: https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/c9310097027ed2448f721c7be1f6350ca3117d23/puppet/services/nova-metadata.yaml#L75