Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> OpenStack has created artificial walls between the various Projects. It shows
> up, for example, as holes in usability at a user level or extra difficulty
> for operators juggling around so many projects. Users and for the most part,
> Operators don't really care about project organization, or ptls, or cores or
> such.  OpenStack has made some progress this direction with stuff like the
> unified cli. But OpenStack is not very unified.

I've been giving this some thought (in the context of a presentation I
was giving on hard lessons learned from 8 years of OpenStack). I think
that organizing development around project teams and components was the
best way to cope with the growth of OpenStack in 2011-1015 and get to a
working set of components. However it's not the best organization to
improve on the overall "product experience", or for a maintenance phase.

While it can be confusing, I like the two-dimensional approach that
Kubernetes followed (code ownership in one dimension, SIGs in the
other). The introduction of SIGs in OpenStack, beyond providing a way to
build closer feedback loops around specific topics, can help us tackle
this "unified experience" problem you raised. The formation of the
upgrades SIG, or the self-healing SIG is a sign that times change. Maybe
we need to push in that direction even more aggressively and start
thinking about de-emphasizing project teams themselves.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)