On 05/11/2018 02:00 PM, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> Who are your users, what do they need, are you meeting those needs, and what
> can you do to better things?
>
> If that can't be answered, how do you know if you are making progress or
> staying relevant?
>
> Lines of code committed is not a metric of real progress.
> Number of reviews isn't.
> Feature addition metrics aren't necessarily if the features are not relevant.
> Developer community size is not really a metric of progress either. (not a
> bad thing. just doesn't grantee progress if devs are going in different
> directions)
>
> If you can't answer them, how do separate things like, "devs are leaving
> because the project is mature, from the overall project is really broken and
> folks are just leaving?"
>
> Part of the disconnect to me has been that these questions have been left up
> to the projects by and large. But, users don't use the projects. Users use
> OpenStack. Or, moving forward, they at least use a Constellation. But
> Constellation is still just a documentation construct. Not really a first
> class entity.
>
> Currently the isolation between the Projects and the thing that the users
> use, the Constellation allows for user needs to easily slip through the
> cracks. Cause "Project X: we agree that is a problem, but its Y projects
> problem. Project Y: we agree that is a problem, but its X projects problem."
> No, seriously, its OpenStacks problem. Most of the major issues I've hit in
> my many years of using OpenStack were in that category. And there wasn't a
> good forum for addressing them.

I can think of a couple good example problems that probably fall into
the category you've described. But, I wouldn't say it was solely because
two or more projects were convinced the problem exists and it wasn't
their responsibility (IMO, that at least seems like a broad
generalization of the root of why cross-project issues take a long time).

For example, the push for default roles surfaced in 2015 as an
OpenStack-wide specification, but lost steam when we realized just how
terrible the migration path would be for users. Eventually, a solution
for that migration issue made it's way into the commons (oslo.policy)
and enabled a Queens community goal. I think the leadership established
through community goals makes this kind of work possible, even if it
does take a while.

> A related effect of the isolation is also that the projects don't work on the
> commons nor look around too much what others are doing. Either within
> OpenStack or outside. They solve problems at the project level and say, look,
> I've solved it, but don't look at what happens when all the projects do that
> independently and push more work to the users. The end result of this lack of
> Leadership is more work for the users compared to competitors.
>
> IMO, OpenStack really needs some Leadership at a higher level. It seems to be
> lacking some things:
> 1. A group that performs... lacking a good word.... reconnaissance? How is
> OpenStack fairing in the world. How is the world changing and how must
> OpenStack change to continue to be relevant. If you don't know you have a
> problem you can't correct it.
> 2. A group that decides some difficult political things, like who the users
> are. Maybe at a per constellation level. This does not mean rejecting use
> cases from "non users". just helping the projects sort out priorities.
> 3. A group that decides on a general direction for OpenStack's technical
> solutions, encourages building up the commons, helps break down the project
> communication walls and picks homes for features when it takes too long for a
> user need to be met (users really don't care what OpenStack project does what
> feature. They just that they are suffering, things don't get addressed in a
> timely manner, and will maybe consider looking outside of OpenStack for a
> solution)

This sounds like the group of people who propose, review, and implement
community goals.