On 12/16/2013 08:48 PM, Jay Dobies wrote:

On 12/13/2013 01:53 PM, Tzu-Mainn Chen wrote:
On 2013/13/12 11:20, Tzu-Mainn Chen wrote:
These look good!  Quick question - can you explain the purpose of Node
Tags?  Are they
an additional way to filter nodes through nova-scheduler (is that even
possible?), or
are they there solely for display in the UI?

Mainn

We start easy, so that's solely for UI needs of filtering and monitoring
(grouping of nodes). It is already in Ironic, so there is no reason why
not to take advantage of it.
-- Jarda

Okay, great. Just for further clarification, are you expecting this UI filtering to be present in release 0? I don't think Ironic natively supports filtering
by node tag, so that would be further work that would have to be done.

Mainn

I might be getting ahead of things, but will the tags be free-form entered by the user, pre-entered in a separate settings and selectable at node register/update time, or locked into a select few that we specify?

We are definitely going ahead. :-) Though I would lean to free form tags, that users could use as they want (grouping, creating policies, etc.). Plus there would be a basic set we specify for the users.