On 5/28/2018 7:31 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:
That said, given I'm now working on using Nested Resource Providers for VGPU inventories, I wonder about a possible upgrade problem with VGPU allocations. Given that :  - in Queens, VGPU inventories are for the root RP (ie. the compute node RP), but,  - in Rocky, VGPU inventories will be for children RPs (ie. against a specific VGPU type), then

if we have VGPU allocations in Queens, when upgrading to Rocky, we should maybe recreate the allocations to a specific other inventory ?

For how the heal_allocations CLI works today, if the instance has any allocations in placement, it skips that instance. So this scenario wouldn't be a problem.

Hope you see the problem with upgrading by creating nested RPs ?

Yes, the CLI doesn't attempt to have any knowledge about nested resource providers, it just takes the flavor embedded in the instance and creates allocations against the compute node provider using the flavor. It has no explicit knowledge about granular request groups or more advanced features like that.

Matt