On 31/05/18 14:35, Julia Kreger wrote:
Back to the topic of nitpicking!

I virtually sat down with Doug today and we hammered out the positive
aspects that we feel like are the things that we as a community want
to see as part of reviews coming out of this effort. The principles
change[1] in governance has been updated as a result.

I think we are at a point where we have to state high level
principles, and then also update guidelines or other context providing
documentation to re-enforce some of items covered in this
discussion... not just to educate new contributors, but to serve as a
checkpoint for existing reviewers when making the decision as to how
to vote change set. The question then becomes where would such
guidelines or documentation best fit?

I think the contributor guide is the logical place for it. Kendall pointed out this existing section:

https://docs.openstack.org/contributors/code-and-documentation/using-gerrit.html#reviewing-changes

It could go in there, or perhaps we separate out the parts about when to use which review scores into a separate page from the mechanics of how to use Gerrit.

Should we explicitly detail the
cause/effect that occurs? Should we convey contributor perceptions, or
maybe even just link to this thread as there has been a massive amount
of feedback raising valid cases, points, and frustrations.

Personally, I'd lean towards a blended approach, but the question of
where is one I'm unsure of. Thoughts?

Let's crowdsource a set of heuristics that reviewers and contributors should keep in mind when they're reviewing or having their changes reviewed. I made a start on collecting ideas from this and past threads, as well as my own reviewing experience, into a document that I've presumptuously titled "How to Review Changes the OpenStack Way" (but might be more accurately called "The Frank Sinatra Guide to Code Review" at the moment):

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/review-the-openstack-way

It's in an etherpad to make it easier for everyone to add their suggestions and comments (folks in #openstack-tc have made some tweaks already). After a suitable interval has passed to collect feedback, I'll turn this into a contributor guide change.

Have at it!

cheers,
Zane.

-Julia