On 06/07/2018 12:07 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
On 6/7/2018 12:56 PM, melanie witt wrote:

C) Create a configurable API limit for maximum number of volumes to attach to
a single instance that is either a quota or similar to a quota. Pros: lets
operators opt-in to a maximum that works in their environment. Cons: it's yet
another quota?

This seems the most reasonable to me if we're going to do this, but I'm probably
in the minority. Yes more quota limits sucks, but it's (1) discoverable by API
users and therefore (2) interoperable.

Quota seems like kind of a blunt instrument, since it might not make sense for a little single-vCPU guest to get the same number of connections as a massive guest with many dedicated vCPUs. (Since you can fit many more of the former on a given compute node.)

If what we care about is the number of connections per compute node it almost feels like a resource that should be tracked...but you wouldn't want to have one instance consume all of the connections on the node so you're back to needing a per-instance limit of some sort.

Chris