---- On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 18:37:42 +0900 Dmitry Tantsur <dtant...@redhat.com>
wrote ----
> [...]
 > > with latest/known Tempest versions. It will become hard to find the
 > > compatible tag/release of Tempest and Tempest Plugins or in some cases i
 > > might need to patch up the things.
 >
 > FWIW this is solved by stable branches for all other projects. If we cannot
 > keep
 > Tempest compatible with all supported branches, we should back off our
 > decision
 > to make it branchless. The very nature of being branchless implies being
 > compatible with all supported releases.
 >

 > > During QA feedback sessions at Vancouver Summit, there was feedback to
 > > coordinating the release of all Tempest plugins and Tempest [4] (also
 > > amotoki talked to me on this as neutron-tempest-plugin is planning their
 > > first release). Idea is to release/tag all the Tempest plugins and Tempest
 > > together so that specific release/tag can be identified as compatible
 > > version of all the Plugins and Tempest for testing the complete stack.
 > > That way user can get to know what version of Tempest Plugins is
 > > compatible with what version of Tempest.
 > >
 > > For above use case, we need some coordinated release model among Tempest
 > > and all the Tempest Plugins. There should be single release of all Tempest
 > > Plugins with well defined tag whenever any Tempest release is happening.
 > > For Example, Tempest version 19.0.0 is to mark the "support of the Rocky
 > > release". When releasing the Tempest 19.0, we will release all the Tempest
 > > plugins also to tag the compatibility of plugins with Tempest for "support
 > > of the Rocky release".
 > >
 > > One way to make this coordinated release (just a initial thought):
 > > 1. Release Each Tempest Plugins whenever there is any major version
 > > release of Tempest (like marking the support of OpenStack release in
 > > Tempest, EOL of OpenStack release in Tempest)
 > >      1.1 Each plugin or Tempest can do their intermediate release of minor
 > > version change which are in backward compatible way.
 > >      1.2 This coordinated Release can be started from latest Tempest
 > > Version for simple reading.  Like if we start this coordinated release
 > > from Tempest version 19.0.0 then,
 > >              each plugins will be released as 19.0.0 and so on.
 > >
 > > Giving the above background and use case of this coordinated release,
 > > A) I would like to ask each plugins owner if you are agree on this
 > > coordinated release?  If no, please give more feedback or issue we can
 > > face due to this coordinated release.
 >
 > Disclaimer: I'm not the PTL.
 >
 > Similarly to Luigi, I don't feel well about forcing a plugin release at the
 > same
 > time as a tempest release, UNLESS tempest folks are going to coordinate
 > their
 > releases with all how-many-do-we-have plugins. What I'd like to avoid is
 > cutting
 > a release in the middle of a patch chain or some refactoring just because
 > tempest happened to have a release right now.

I understand your point. But we can avoid that case if we only coordinate on
major version bump only. as i mentioned in 1.2 point, Tempest and Tempest
plugins can do their intermediate release anytime which are nothing but
backward compatible release. In this proposed model, we can do a coordinated
release for major version bump only which is happening only on OpenStack
release and EOL of any stable branch.

Or I am all open to have another release model which can be best suited for all
plugins which can address the mentioned use case of coordinated release.

-gmann