On 6/29/2018 8:03 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
# Questions

As far as I can tell there was no discussion on last week's
question, so here it is again:

In [IRC
[last week]](http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-placement/%23openstack-placement.2018-06-21.log.html#t2018-06-21T13:21:14)
we had an extensive discussion about being able to set custom
resource classes on the resource provider representing a
compute node, outside the virt driver. At the moment the virt driver
will clobber it. Is this what we always want?

We've always said the virt driver is the "owner" of resource classes for the compute node provider right? If something external wants to put custom inventory in that tree, they'd do so with a child provider (like neutron will do with bandwidth providers).

We have said that we should merge externally-defined traits with compute-defined traits, and I think that is OK.

* "How to deploy / model shared disk. Seems fairly straight-forward,
   and we could even maybe create a multi-node ceph job that does
   this - wouldn't that be awesome?!?!", says an enthusiastic Matt
   Riedemann.

Another thing with this is move operations don't really work with shared providers yet, there are TODOs in the conductor task code for when we move the allocations from the instance on the source host to the migration record - those don't deal with shared providers.

## Nested providers in allocation candidates

As far as I can tell the main thing left here is to turn it on in a
microversion. That code is at:

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/565487/>

Merged.

## Consumer Generations

There are new patches in progress on this, related to the bugs that
were discovered:

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1778576>
* <https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1778591>

There are a patches left on the consumer generation topic, some tidy
ups, and some stuff related to healing allocations:

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/add-consumer-generation>

Is someone already working on code for making use of this in the
resource tracker?

In what way? The RT, except for I think the Ironic driver, shouldn't be dealing with allocations (PUTing them anyway).

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/placement-osc-plugin-rocky>
   A huge pile of improvements to osc-placement

Several of these are making progress now (getting review I mean), but as of <1 hour ago I need to redo something in the bottom change in the series.

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/561770/>
   PCPU resource class

I dropped the procedural -2 on this since the spec was never approved in time for Rocky.

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/blazar+topic:bp/placement-api>
   Blazar's work on using placement

Cool I was just looking at Blazar the other night for interest in the dedicated hosts feature request from the public cloud SIG and was wondering if they'd started integrating more with placement rather than the compute APIs (and notifications). Seems like a good long-term strategy on their part.

Matt