On 7/25/2018 12:43 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
Keypairs are weird in that they're owned by users, not projects.  This is arguably wrong, since it can cause problems if a user boots an instance with their keypair and then gets removed from a project.

Nova microversion 2.54 added support for modifying the keypair associated with an instance when doing a rebuild.  Before that there was no clean way to do it.

While discussing what eventually became microversion 2.54, sdague sent a nice summary of several discussions related to this:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/123071.html

Note the entries in there about how several deployments don't rely on nova's keypair interface because of its clunky nature, and other ideas about getting nova out of the keypair business altogether and instead let barbican manage that and nova just references a key resource in barbican. Before we'd consider making incremental changes to nova's keypair interface and user/project scoping, I think we would need to think through that barbican route and what it could look like and how it might benefit everyone.

Matt