According to https://bugs.launchpad.net/pbr/+bug/1742809 our github release tarballs don't actually work. It seems to be a github-specific issue because I was unable to reproduce the problem with a tarball from releases.openstack.org.

My best guess is that github's release process differs from ours and doesn't work with our projects. I see a couple of options for fixing that. Either we figure out how to make Github's release process DTRT for our projects, or we figure out a way to override Github's release artifacts with our own. I'm not familiar enough with this to know which is a better (or even possible) option, so I'm sending this to solicit help.

Thanks.

-Ben