On 08/01/2018 12:49 PM, Andrey Kurilin wrote:
Hey Ian and stackers!

ср, 1 авг. 2018 г. в 8:45, Ian Wienand <iwien...@redhat.com <mailto:iwien...@redhat.com>>:

    Hello,

    It seems freenode is currently receiving a lot of unsolicited traffic
    across all channels.  The freenode team are aware [1] and doing their
    best.

    There are not really a lot of options.  We can set "+r" on channels
    which means only nickserv registered users can join channels.  We have
    traditionally avoided this, because it is yet one more barrier to
    communication when many are already unfamiliar with IRC access.
    However, having channels filled with irrelevant messages is also not
    very accessible.

    This is temporarily enabled in #openstack-infra for the time being, so
    we can co-ordinate without interruption.

    Thankfully AFAIK we have not needed an abuse policy on this before;
    but I guess we are the point we need some sort of coordinated
    response.

    I'd suggest to start, people with an interest in a channel can request
    +r from an IRC admin in #openstack-infra and we track it at [2]

    Longer term ... suggestions welcome? :)

Move to Slack? We can provide auto-sending to emails invitations for joining by clicking the button on some page at openstack.org <http://openstack.org>. It will not add more berrier for new contributors and, at the same time, this way will give some base filtering by emails at least.

A few potential barriers with slack or similar solutions: lack of FOSS desktop clients (correct me if I'm wrong), complete lack of any console clients (ditto), serious limits on free (as in beer) tariff plans.

    -i

    [1] https://freenode.net/news/spambot-attack
    [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/freenode-plus-r-08-2018

Best regards,