On Fri, 24 Aug 2018, Chris Dent wrote:

That work is in gerrit at

   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/596291/

with a hopefully clear commit message about what's going on. As with
the rest of this work, this is not something to merge, rather an
experiment to learn from. The hot spots in the changes are
relatively limited and about what you would expect so, with luck,
should be pretty easy to deal with, some of them even before we
actually do any extracting (to enhance the boundaries between the
two services).

After some prompting from gibi, that code has now been adjusted so
that requirements.txt and tox.ini [1] make sure that the extract
placement branch is installed into the test virtualenvs. So in the
gate the unit and functional tests pass. Other jobs do not because
of [1].

In the intervening time I've taken that code, built a devstack that
uses a nova-placement-api wsgi script that uses nova.conf and the
extracted placement code. It runs against the nova-api database.

Created a few servers. Worked.

Then I switched the devstack@placement-unit unit file to point to
the placement-api wsgi script, and configured
/etc/placement/placement.conf to have a
[placement_database]/connection of the nova-api db.

Created a few servers. Worked.

Thanks.

[1] As far as I can tell a requirements.txt entry of

    -e
git+https://github.com/cdent/placement-1.git@cd/make-it-work#egg=placement

will install just fine with 'pip install -r requirements.txt', but
if I do 'pip install nova' and that line is in requirements.txt it
does not work. This means I had to change tox.ini to have a deps
setting of:

    deps = -r{toxinidir}/test-requirements.txt
           -r{toxinidir}/requirements.txt

to get the functional and unit tests to build working virtualenvs.
That this is not happening in the dsvm-based zuul jobs mean that the
tests can't run or pass. What's going on here? Ideas?