On 8/20/2018 10:29 AM, Matthew Booth wrote:
Secondly, is there any reason why we shouldn't just document then you
have to delete snapshots before doing a volume migration? Hopefully
some cinder folks or operators can chime in to let me know how to back
them up or somehow make them independent before doing this, at which
point the volume itself should be migratable?

Coincidentally the volume migration API never had API reference documentation. I have that here now [1]. It clearly states the preconditions to migrate a volume based on code in the volume API. However, volume migration is admin-only by default and retype (essentially like resize) is admin-or-owner so non-admins can do it and specify to migrate. In general I think it's best to have preconditions for *any* API documented, so anything needed to perform a retype should be documented in the API, like that the volume can't have snapshots.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/595379/

Matt