Jay Pipes <jaypi...@gmail.com> 于2018年9月29日周六 上午5:51写道:

> On 09/28/2018 04:42 PM, Eric Fried wrote:

> require

> >> How far are we willing to go? Does an arbitrary (key: value) pair
> >> encoded in a trait name like key_`str(value)` (e.g. CURRENT_TEMPERATURE:
> >> 85 encoded as CUSTOM_TEMPERATURE_85) something we would be OK to see in
> >> placement?
> >
> > Great question. Perhaps TEMPERATURE_DANGEROUSLY_HIGH is okay, but
> > TEMPERATURE_<specific_number> is not.
>
> That's correct, because you're encoding >1 piece of information into the
> single string (the fact that it's a temperature *and* the value of that
> temperature are the two pieces of information encoded into the single
> string).
>
> Now that there's multiple pieces of information encoded in the string
> the reader of the trait string needs to know how to decode those bits of
> information, which is exactly what we're trying to avoid doing (because
> we can see from the ComputeCapabilitiesFilter, the extra_specs mess, and
> the giant hairball that is the NUMA and CPU pinning "metadata requests"
> how that turns out).

May I understand the one of Jay's complain is about metadata API
undiscoverable? That is extra_spec mess and ComputeCapabilitiesFilter mess?

Another complain is about the information in the string. Agree with that
TEMPERATURE_<specific_number> is terriable.
I prefer the way I used in nvdimm proposal now, I don't want to use Trait
NVDIMM_DEVICE_500GB, NVDIMM_DEVICE_1024GB. I want to put them into the
different resource provider, and use min_size, max_size limit the
allocation. And the user will request with resource class like
RC_NVDIMM_GB=512.