On 10/15/2018 05:49 AM, Stephen Finucane wrote:
On Wed, 2018-10-10 at 18:51 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
On 2018-10-10 13:35:00 -0500 (-0500), Greg Hill wrote:
[...]
We plan to still have a CI gatekeeper, probably Travis CI, to make sure PRs
past muster before being merged, so it's not like we're wanting to
circumvent good contribution practices by committing whatever to HEAD.

Travis CI has gained the ability to prevent you from merging changes
which fail testing? Or do you mean something else when you refer to
it as a "gatekeeper" here?

Yup but it's GitHub feature rather than specifically a Travis CI
feature.

   https://help.github.com/articles/about-required-status-checks/

Doesn't help the awful pull request workflow but that's neither here
nor there.

It's also not the same as gating.

The github feature is the equivalent of "Make sure the votes in check are green before letting someone click the merge button"

The zuul feature is "run the tests between the human decision to merge and actually merging with the code in the state it will actually be in when merged".

It sounds nitpicky, but the semantic distinction is important - and it catches things more frequently than you might imagine.

That said - Zuul supports github, and there are Zuuls run by not-openstack, so taking a project out of OpenStack's free infrastructure does not mean you have to also abandon Zuul. The OpenStack Infra team isn't going to run a zuul to gate patches on a GitHub project - but other people might be happy to let you use a Zuul so that you don't have to give up the Zuul features in place today. If you go down that road, I'd suggest pinging the softwarefactory-project.io folks or the openlab folks.