On 10/18/2018 10:23 AM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry for chiming in really late in this topic, but I think $subj is worth discussing until we settle harder on the potentially confusing terminology.

I think the difference between "Edge" and "Far Edge" is too vague to use these terms in practice. Think about the "edge" metaphor itself: something rarely has several layers of edges. A knife has an edge, there are no far edges. I imagine zooming in and seeing more edges at the edge, and then it's quite cool indeed, but is it really a useful metaphor for those who never used a strong microscope? :)

I think in the trivial sense "Far Edge" is a tautology, and should be avoided. As a weak proof of my words, I already see a lot of smart people confusing these two and actually use Central/Edge where they mean Edge/Far Edge. I suggest we adopt a different terminology, even if it less consistent with typical marketing term around the "Edge" movement.

Now, I don't have really great suggestions. Something that came up in TripleO discussions [1] is Core/Hub/Edge, which I think reflects the idea better.

I'd be very interested to hear your ideas.

"The Edge" and "Lunatic Fringe".

There, problem solved.

-jay