On 16 January 2014 21:41, NOTSU Arata <no...@virtualtech.jp> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to add a new configuration option for Neutron OVS agent. Although
> I've submitted a patch and it is being reviewed [1], I'm posting to this
> mailing list seeking opinion from a wider range.
>
> At present, when you deploy an environment using Neutron + OVS + GRE/VXLAN,
> you have to set local_ip for tunnelling in neutron agent config (typically
> ovs_neutron_plugin.ini). As each host has different local_ip, preparing and
> maintaining the config files is a cumbersome work.

It's fully automated in all the deployment systems I've looked at. I
appreciate the concern for deployers, but this is a solved problem for
us IMO.

> Anyway, with this feature, instead of setting an actual IP address to
> local_ip, you set some options (criteria) for choosing an IP address suitable
> for local_ip among IP addresses assigned to the host. At runtime, OVS agent
> will choose an IP address according to the criteria. You will get the same
> effect as you set local_ip=<the IP address> by hand.
>
> The question is, what criteria is appropriate for the purpose. The criteria
> being mentioned so far in the review are:
>
> 1. assigned to the interface attached to default gateway
> 2. being in the specified network (CIDR)
> 3. assigned to the specified interface
>    (1 can be considered a special case of 3)

I don't think 1 is a special case of 3 - interface based connections
are dependent on physical wiring,

How about 4. Send a few packets with a nonce in them to any of the
already meshed nodes, and those nodes can report what ip they
originated from.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcoll...@hp.com>