Excerpts from Day, Phil's message of 2014-01-24 04:39:10 -0800:
> > On 01/22/2014 12:17 PM, Dan Prince wrote:
> > > I've been thinking a bit more about how TripleO updates are developing
> > specifically with regards to compute nodes. What is commonly called the
> > "update story" I think.
> > >
> > > As I understand it we expect people to actually have to reboot a compute
> > node in the cluster in order to deploy an update. This really worries me
> > because it seems like way overkill for such a simple operation. Lets say
> > all I
> > need to deploy is a simple change to Nova's libvirt driver. And I need to
> > deploy it to *all* my compute instances. Do we really expect people to
> > actually have to reboot every single compute node in their cluster for such
> > thing. And then do this again and again for each update they deploy?
> >
> > FWIW, I agree that this is going to be considered unacceptable by most
> > people.  Hopefully everyone is on the same page with that.  It sounds like
> > that's the case so far in this thread, at least...
> >
> > If you have to reboot the compute node, ideally you also have support for
> > live migrating all running VMs on that compute node elsewhere before doing
> > so.  That's not something you want to have to do for *every* little change
> > *every* compute node.
> >

> Yep, my reading is the same as yours Russell, everyone agreed that there
> needs to be an update that avoids the reboot where possible (other parts of
> the thread seem to be focused on how much further the update can be
> optimized).
>
> What's not clear to me is when the plan is to have that support in TripleO -
> I tried looking for a matching Blueprint to see if it was targeted for
> Icehouse but can't match it against the five listed.   Perhaps Rob or Clint
> can clarify ?
> Feels to me that this is a must have before anyone will really be able to use
> TripleO beyond a PoC for initial deployment.

Right now we are focused on the hard case, updates requiring
reboot. Avoiding the reboot is a bit more than an optimization, but it
is something we will get to once we've nailed the harder case of handling
a new kernel and reboot gracefully.

I for one have a fear that if we start with the easy case, we'll just
avoid the hard one, spend less time on it, and thus do it poorly.