I'm in the process of putting together a bug report and a patch for properly handling resource tracking on live migration.

The change involves code that will run on the destination compute node in order to properly account for the resources that the instance to be migrated will consume.

Testing it manually is really simple...start with an instance on one compute node, check the hypervisor stats on the destination node, trigger a live-migration, and immediately check the hypervisor stats again. With the current code the hypervisor doesn't update until the audit runs, with the patch it updates right away.

I can see how to do a tempest testcase for this, but I don't have a good handle on how to set this up as a unit test. I *think* it should be possible to modify _test_check_can_live_migrate_destination() but it would mean setting up fake resource tracking and adding fake resources (cpu/memory/disk) to the fake instance being fake migrated and I don't have any experience with that.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Chris